Welcome to my personal website
Wai Pang Ng, BEng(Hons) PhD. CEng MIET SMIEEE FHEA
- Reader of Optical Communications in the Faculty of Engineering and Environment
Room E406, Ellison Building
Voice: +44 (0) 191 243 7232
Fax: +44 (0) 191 243 7630
I am a Reader (Associate Professor) at the Faculty of Engineering and Environment at Northumbria University. I received my BEng (Communication and Electronic Engineering) from Northumbria University in Newcastle
upon Tyne in 1997 and Ph.D. (Electrical Engineering) from University of Wales at Swansea in 2001.
Currently I am working within the Optical Communication Research Laboratory. Recently the group setup Agilent Technologies Photonic and Microwave Laboratory at the School. My research interests include optical switching, GMPLS, adaptive digital signal processing and cryptography.
My current and past research projects include:
- Radio-over-fibre communications for 4G LTE and Millimeter Wave.
- Photonic Switching using SMZ.
- Chromatic Dispersion Compensation with Adaptive All Pass Filter.
- Common Vulnerability Scoring System for Wireless Networks.
- Non-intrusive Noise Cancellation.
- In-service Non-intrusive Measurement Device for Characterising Speech Networks
My current professional activities:
- Chair, IEEE UK&RI Communication Chapter
- Publicity Chair for ICC 2015, London
- Co-chair, Signal Processing for Communications Symposium, IEEE ICC 2009
If you are interested to know more about the projects above or my publications, please contact me.
Publications listed in IEEExplore: W.P. Ng
My full publications list
- I. E. Lee, Z. Ghassemlooy, W. P. Ng, and A. Khalighi, "Green-Inspired Hybrid Base Transceiver Station Architecture with Joint FSO/RF Wireless Backhauling and Basic Access Signaling for Next-Generation Metrozones," in Green Networking and Communications: ICT for Sustainability, S. Khan and J. L. Mauri, Eds., ed: CRC Press, 2013, pp. 211-235. Link: http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466568747
- Z. Ghassemlooy, W. P. Ng, and H. Le Minh, "All-Optical Resilient Pulse-Position-Modulation-Based Packet-Switched Routing," in Resilient Optical Network Design: Advances in Fault-Tolerant Methodologies, Y. Kavian and M. Leeson, Eds., ed USA: IGI Global, 2012, pp. 109-133. Link: http://www.igi-global.com/chapter/all-optical-resilient-pulse-position/61199
- T. Kanesan, W. P. Ng, Z. Ghassemlooy, and C. Lu, " Investigation of Optical Modulators in Optimized Nonlinear Compensated LTE RoF System," Lightwave Technology, Journal of,, vol. 32, pp. 1944-1950, 2014. Doi: 10.1109/jlt.2014.2312321
- T. Kanesan, W. P. Ng, Z. Ghassemlooy, and C. Lu, "Experimental Full Duplex Simultaneous Transmission of LTE Over a DWDM Directly Modulated RoF System," Journal of Optical Communications and Networking, vol. 6, pp. 8-17, 2014. Doi: 10.1364/jocn.6.000008
- I. E. Lee, Z. Ghassemlooy, W. P. Ng, and A. Khalighi, "Joint optimization of a partially coherent Gaussian beam for free-space optical communication over turbulent channels with pointing errors," Optics Letters, vol. 38, pp. 350-352, 2013. Doi: 10.1364/OL.38.000350
- W. P. Ng, T. Kanesan, Z. Ghassemlooy, and C. Lu, "Theoretical and Experimental Optimum System Design for LTE-RoF Over Varying Transmission Span and Identification of System Nonlinear Limit," Photonics Journal, IEEE, vol. 4, pp. 1560-1571, 2012. Doi: 10.1109/jphot.2012.2211343
- T. Kanesan, W. P. Ng, Z. Ghassemlooy, and C. Lu, "Experimental Verification of Optimized LTE-RoF System for eNB Cell Radius Improvement," Photonics Technology Letters, IEEE, vol. 24, pp. 2210-2213, 2012. Doi: 10.1109/lpt.2012.2223208
- W. P. Ng, A. A. El Aziz, Z. Ghassemlooy, M. H. Aly, and R. Ngah, "Optimised non-uniform biasing technique for a highspeed optical router to achieve uniform semiconductor optical amplifier gain," Communications, IET, vol. 6, pp. 484-491, 2012. Doi: 10.1049/iet-com.2011.0112
- T. Kanesan, W. P. Ng, Z. Ghassemlooy, and J. Perez, "Optimization of Optical Modulator for LTE RoF in Nonlinear Fiber Propagation," Photonics Technology Letters, IEEE, vol. 24, pp. 617-619, 2012. Doi: 10.1109/LPT.2012.2185927
- H. Le-Minh, Z. Ghassemlooy, W. P. Ng, and M. F. Chiang, "All-optical router with pulse-position modulation header processing in high-speed photonic packet switching networks," Communications, IET, vol. 3, pp. 465-476, 2009. Doi: 10.1049/iet-com:20070505
- W. P. Ng, W. Loedhammacakra, Z. Ghassemlooy, and R. A. Cryan, "Characterisation of a parallel optical all pass filter for chromatic dispersion equalisation in 10 Gb/s system," Circuits, Devices & Systems, IET, vol. 2, pp. 112-118, 2008. Doi: 10.1049/iet-cds:20070238
- H. L. Minh, Z. Ghassemlooy, and W. P. Ng, "Characterization and performance analysis of a TOAD switch employing a dual control pulse scheme in high-speed OTDM demultiplexer," Communications Letters, IEEE, vol. 12, pp. 316-318, 2008. Doi: 10.1109/lcomm.2008.061299
- T. Kanesan, W. P. Ng, Z. Ghassemlooy, and C. Lu, "Experimental demonstration of the compensation of nonlinear propagation in a LTE RoF system with a directly modulated laser," in Communications (ICC), 2013 IEEE International Conference on, 2013, pp. 3884-3888. Doi: 10.1109/icc.2013.6655163
- T. Kanesan, W. P. Ng, Z. Ghassemlooy, and C. Lu, "Impact of Optical Modulators in LTE RoF System with Nonlinear Compensator for Enhanced Power Budget," 2013, p. OW1D.4. Doi: 10.1364/OFC.2013.OW1D.4
- T. Kanesan, W. P. Ng, Z. Ghassemlooy, and C. Lu, "Theoretical and experimental design of an alternative system to 2x2 MIMO for LTE over 60 km directly modulated RoF link," in Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), 2012 IEEE, 2012, pp. 2959-2964. Doi: 10.1109/glocom.2012.6503567
- I. E. Lee, Z. Ghassemlooy, and W. P. Ng, "Effects of aperture averaging and beam width on Gaussian free space optical links in the presence of atmospheric turbulence and pointing error," in Transparent Optical Networks (ICTON), 2012 14th International Conference on, 2012, pp. 1-4. Doi: 10.1109/icton.2012.6253851
- H. Le Minh, Z. Ghassemlooy, and W. P. Ng, "Investigation of imperfect control pulse effect on performance of the all-optical pulse-position-modulation routing scheme," presented at the 13th International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks (ICTON 2011), Stockholm, Sweden, 2011. Doi: 10.1109/icton.2011.5970915
- A. A. El Aziz, W. P. Ng, Z. Ghassemlooy, M. H. Aly, R. Ngah, and M. F. Chiang, "Characterization of the semiconductor optical amplifier for amplification and photonic switching employing the segmentation model," in International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks "Mediterranean Winter" (ICTON-MW'08), Invited Paper, Marrakech, Morocco, 2008, pp. Fr1A.1 (1-6). Doi: 10.1109/ictonmw.2008.4773070
- M. F. Chiang, Z. Ghassemlooy, W. P. Ng, H. L. Minh, and A. A. El Aziz, "Multiple-Hop Routing in Ultrafast All-Optical Packet Switching Network Using Multiple PPM Routing Tables," in IEEE International Conference on Communications, 2008. ICC '08. , Beijing, China, 2008, p. 5321. Doi: 10.1109/ICC.2008.998
- W. P. Ng, W. Loedhammacakra, R. A. Cryan, and Z. Ghassemlooy, "Performance Analysis of the Parallel Optical All-Pass Filter Equalizer for Chromatic Dispersion Compensation at 10 Gb/s Performance Analysis of the Parallel Optical All-Pass Filter Equalizer for Chromatic Dispersion Compensation at 10 Gb/s," in Global Telecommunications Conference, 2007, GLOBECOM '07. IEEE, 2007, pp. 2423-2427. Doi: 10.1109/glocom.2007.461
- H. Le Minh, H. Le Minh, Z. Ghassemlooy, W. P. Ng, and M. F. Chiang, "Bit Error Rate Performance of Multiple-Channel OTDM Demultiplexer Employing A Chained Symmetric Mach-Zehnder Switch Bit Error Rate Performance of Multiple-Channel OTDM Demultiplexer Employing A Chained Symmetric Mach-Zehnder Switch," in Global Telecommunications Conference, 2007. GLOBECOM '07. IEEE, 2007, pp. 2385-2389. Doi: 10.1109/GLOCOM.2007.454
- H. Le Minh, Z. Ghassemlooy, and W. P. Ng, "An Ultrafast with High Contrast Ratio 1x2 All-optical Switch based on Tri-arm Mach-Zehnder employing
All-optical Flip-flop," in IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC '07, 2007, pp. 2257-2262. Doi: 10.1109/icc.2007.379
- H. Le Minh, Z. Ghassemlooy, and W. P. Ng, "OPN06-3: Multiple-Hop Routing Based on the Pulse-Position Modulation Header Processing Scheme in
All-Optical Ultrafast Packet Switching Network," in IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, GLOBECOM '06, 2006, pp. 1-5. Doi: 10.1109/glocom.2006.390
- Hoa Le-Minh (2007) - University of Northumbria, U.K.
- Ming-Feng Chiang
- Industrial Technology Research Institute, Taiwan.
- Wisit Loedhammacakra (2010) - RMUTT, Thailand.
- Ahmed Shalaby (2011) - AAST, Egypt.
- Mutsam Jarajreh (2012)
- Thavamaran Kanesan (2013) - Aston University, U.K.
Current PhD Students